More Able Pupils
We ensure that the needs of our more able and talented children are met by:
- Having high expectations of all children.
- Providing a stimulating and challenging learning experience through carefully differentiated planning and resources.
- Using a range of teaching approaches and maximising the wonderful resources available to the school, including our extensive grounds and specialist teachers.
- Ensuring that the children are motivated and take responsibility for their learning, asking questions, solving problems and thinking for themselves.
- Closely monitoring progress so that no child is underachieving.
- Offering a wide range of enrichment and extra-curricular opportunities so that all children get the chance to experience and explore their talents.
- Finding out more about the children’s talents and interests outside school and promoting them further.
- Encouraging and teaching our core values, Resilience, Responsibility, Respect and Reflection.
We constantly review our approach to ensure we challenge all our children and our motto, ‘Growing Learners for Life’ is at the heart of everything we do as a school. Our aim is to ensure Woodmansterne pupils are independent, responsible, and confident about themselves as learners as they move on to secondary school and beyond.
Across the year, our subject leaders plan a range of activities for identified groups of more able children to strengths their knowledge and skills; building on their talents and future aspirations. Details of these opportunities are listed in the diagram above.
As part of our programme of enrichment activities, this year we have been involved in 'The Scholars Programme' from The Brilliant Club which is designed to help pupils to develop the knowledge, skills and confidence to progress to some of the county's most competitive universities.
The school runs a sports excellence stream which aims to identify and develop the sporting talents of our children. Each term, we identify children with a talent or potential talent for the focused sport of the term which include football, rugby, cricket and lacrosse. Our excellence stream then receives a bespoke programme of additional sports teaching, utilising the extensive sports facilities at our local Trust secondary school – Epsom and Ewell High School. We also use this as an opportunity to identify children for selection to our school teams, as well as signposting them to local sports clubs and development programmes which will help to develop their talent further.